2nd Sports Science Convention
Hydration & Human Performance: Scientific Concepts and Practical Applications
To educate the participants on optimizing health and performance through research and education in hydration and condition science
- to educate the participants on the physiology of fluid loss and replacement
- to educate the participants on the importance of rehydration in training and competition of athletes
- to demonstrate to the participants testing procedures used to assess endurance and fluid loss among athletes of selected sports
- to present research findings on the performance of collegiate and elite athletes in physiologic testing and monitoring
- to educate and demonstrate to the participants the importance of motor skills development
- to enhance participants’ knowledge on plyometrics and core stability exercises
- to educate and demonstrate specific skills to train for speed and endurance
About the Guest Speakers
Dr. Xiaocai Shi
A principal scientist, joined the Gatorade Sorts Science Institute in Barrington , Illinois in 1994. His major responsibility is to provide scientific, educational and technical support to the Gatorade business in Asia/Pacific. He obtained his bachelor’s degree from Shanghai Teacher’s University in 1982, his mater’s degree from ball State University in 1990 and his PhD from the University of Iowa in 1994. His research interests are mainly in the area of gastric emptying and intestinal absorption of water, carbohydrates and electrolytes. Dr. Shi is actively involved in many scientific conferences in Asia pacific and has made numerous presentations on fluid replacement, temperature regulation and intestinal absorption of carbohydrates, fluids and electrolytes in many Asian countries. He is a fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine.
Prof. Chumpol Pholpramool, PhD, BSc (Hons)
He received his BSc (Hons) in Organic Chemistry from the University of Medical Sciences (currently Mahidol University ) in 1968. Then he was awarded a scholarship from the Rockefeller Foundation to study physiology at the University of Pennsylvania, USA . He was the Deputy Director at the Institute of Science and Technology for research and Development, Mahidol University and chaired the national Collaborative Research Network in Physiology sponsored by the Commission on Higher Education. At international level, he is the Past president of the Federation of the Asian and Oceana Physiological Societies (FAOPS). He is currently a member of the Gatorade Asia advisory board.
Jaime Poolton, PhD
Recently completed his PhD at the institute of Human Performance , The University of Hong Kong and holds a First Class Honors Degree in Sport and Exercise Science from the University of Birmingham, UK. Jaime’s interests are in understanding skill failure under pressure, with emphasis on the development of skill acquisition techniques to combat this debilitating phenomenon.
October 29-30, 2007
University of Santo Tomas
Espana, Manila, Philippines
For registration, please call Anne, Finnie, Marty at 406-1611 or 786-1611 local 8454/8455/8280 or 7409713.