When & Where
1st Offering: 14 May 2011 (Saturday), College of Allied Medical Professions, UP Manila
2nd Offering: 28 May 2011 (Saturday), Velez College, Cebu City (to be confirmed)
John Tiu, PT, OCS, Cert MDT
Andrei Altavas, PT, COMT, Cert MDT
About the Seminar
This one-day seminar/workshop will address current evidence-based literature in the management of low back pain specific to disc pathology. An overview of MDT (McKenzie Method) will be presented as well as differential diagnosis of lumbar and SIJ pathology. Upon availability of time, a review on proper execution of techniques will be presented. The seminar hopes to encourage clinicians to seek further training towards credentialing in Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy.
At the conclusion of this course, the participants will be able to:
1. Understand the concept and role of Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy for the efficient treatment of the lumbar spine.
2. Discuss the clinical relevance of directional preference and centralization phenomenon in determining patient prognosis.
3. Analyze the anatomical and biomechanical effects of exercise on the lumbar intervertebral disc based on current research.
4. Identify as well as integrate current evidence-based clinical practice in the rehabilitation of musculoskeletal disorders particularly of the spine.
5. Reinforce clinical decision process in determining patients who are most likely to respond conservatively from those who are appropriate surgical candidates.
Seminar Outline & Actual Program
8:00 – 8:30 Registration
8:30 – 9:00 Non surgical management of Back Pain / Conservative Care
9:00 – 12:00 Overview of Mechanical Diagnosis & Therapy (McKenzie Method)
12:00 – 1:00 LUNCH
1:00 – 2:00 Lumbar Spine Assessment Form
2:00 – 3:00 Intervertebral Disc, effects of exercise on disc repair
3:00 – 3:30 Differential Dx Sacroiliac Joint pathology
3:30 – 4:30 Review of techniques
4:30 – 5:00 Q & A
7.5 hours for lecture and laboratory sessions. This seminar is being reviewed by the Professional Regulation Commission for continuing professional education units (CPE) to be assigned.
PT Students: Php 500 (Please present student ID or most recent Form 5)
PPTA members: Php 600 (PPTA and PRC ID must be presented for CPE registration form)
Non-PPTA member/other professionals: Php 700 (PRC ID must be presented for CPE registration form)
Registration is inclusive of course materials and certificate of attendance. Limited seats are available, and pre-registration is needed to confirm slots.
Kindly forward your complete name, e-mail address, type of registrant (professional or student), choice of venue and mode of payment to Judy Aban, PTRP at email@example.com, or SMS 0922.893.8583. Participants shall receive registration acknowledgment from Ms. Aban.
Proceeds shall go towards the PPTA Special Projects fund (RA 5680 Technical Working Group and Association of Philippine Physical Therapy Students) and formation of the PPTA Cebu Chapter.