This course is suitable for any paediatric Bobath/NDT-trained therapist (OT/PT/SLT) as well as any non-Bobath/NDT-trained therapist who either work with young children (early intervention / <5s), hold a visiting therapist role, and/or work in NICU/SCBU and with babies.
Priority will be given to applicants who are practising in the early intervention field however all interested therapists are encouraged to apply.
Where and When
Three Kings/Epsom area, Auckland, New Zealand (to be confirmed)
Monday 16th – Saturday 21st March 2009 (6 days)
$1800.00 incl. GST (NZBA Inc members)
$2000.00 incl. GST (non-NZBA Inc members)
Jean Pierre Maes, Physiotherapist, Senior Bobath Tutor, Bobath Centre London. Course Leader and Betty Hutchon, Consultant Neurodevelopmental Therapist & Head Occupational Therapist, Royal Free Hospital, London.
By the end of the course participants will:
- Be able to, or begin to, apply the Bobath concept in early assessment and intervention to include current views on early treatment and management.
- Extend their facilitation / handling skills through problem solving.
- Demonstrate an understanding of normal, abnormal, and atypical development for preterm (from 28 weeks gestation onwards) and term babies in the first year of life.
- Document observations of typically developing babies.
- Develop improved observation skills through participating in and observing case studies.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the neurological and developmental assessment tools / methods available to therapists in NICU and early intervention (such as neurological – Prechtl, behavioural – Brazelton and NIDCAP, and developmental – Bayley III, and others).
- Demonstrate an in depth knowledge and understanding of early patterns of brain damage,
investigation methods, medication, and medical intervention.
Course format will include lectures on neurological and developmental assessment with video analysis, as well as daily treatment sessions followed by case presentations and practical demonstrations by a Senior Bobath tutor.
For further information, please click here or contact Carolyn Simmons Carlsson at email@example.com. Closing date for applications is on the 1st of December, 2008.