Quotable Quote

Let’s take a little breather from all the professional stuff, shall we? Here’s a little passage that was forwarded to me via email. It is written in Filipino and it talks about life in the States (or anywhere overseas for that matter). I’m pretty sure it will pull on your heartstrings. If you beg to differ, then please leave us a comment for this post. We’d love to hear your take on this. :)


Akala ng mga tao na nasa Pilipinas kapag nasa America ka…

Akala nila madami ka ng pera. Ang totoo, madami kang utang, dahil credit card lahat ang gamit mo sa pagbili mo ng mga gamit mo. Kailangan mo gumamit ng credit card para magka-credit history ka, kase pag hindi ka umutang o wala kang utang, hindi ka pagkakatiwalaan ng mga kano. Pag wala kang credit card, ibig sabihin wala kang kapasidad magbayad.

Akala nila mayaman ka na kase may kotse ka na. Ang totoo, kapag hindi ka bumili ng kotse sa America maglalakad ka ng milya-milya sa ilalim ng init ng araw o kaya sa snow. Walang jeepney, tricycle o padyak sa America.

Akala nila masarap ang buhay dito sa America. Ang totoo, puro ka trabaho kase pag di ka nagtrabaho, wala kang pangbayad ng bills mo kotse, credit card, ilaw, tubig, insurance, bahay at iba pa. Hindi ka na pwedeng tumambay sa kapitbahay kase busy din sila maghanap buhay pangbayad ng bills nila.

Akala nila masaya ka kase nagpadala ka ng picture mo sa Disney, Seaworld, Six Flags, Universal Studios at iba pang attractions. Ang totoo, kailangan mo ngumiti kase nagbayad ka ng $70+ para makarating ka dun, kailangan mo namnamin ang 10 hours na sweldo mong pinangbayad sa tiket.

Akala nila malaki na ang kinikita mo kase dolyar na sweldo mo. Ang totoo, malaki pagpinalit mo ng peso, pero dolyar din ang gastos mo sa America. Ibig sabihin ang dolyar mong kinita sa pres ong dolyar mo din gagastusin. Ang P15.00 na sardinas sa Pilipinas $1.00 sa America, ang isang pakete ng sigarilyo sa pilipinas P40.00, sa America $5.00, ang upa mo sa bahay na P10,000 sa pilipinas, sa America $1,000.

Akala nila buhay milyonaryo ka na kase ang ganda ng bahay at kotse mo. Ang totoo milyon ang utang mo. Ang bago mong kotse 5 taon mong huhulugan. Ang bahay 30 taon mong huhulugan. Ibig sabihin, alipin ka ng bahay at kotse mo.

Madaming naghahangad na makarating sa America. Lalo na mga nurses, mahirap maging normal na manggagawa sa Pilipinas. Madalas pagod ka sa trabaho. Pag dating ng sweldo mo, kulang pa sa pagkain mo. Pero ganun din sa ibang bansa katulad ng America. Hindi ibig sabihin dolyar na ang sweldo mo, yayaman ka na, kailangan mo ding magbanat ng buto para magsurvive ka sa ibang bansa. Isang malaking sakripisyo ang pag-alis mo sa bansang pinagsilangan at malungkot iwanan ang mga mahal mo sa buhay. Hindi pinupulot ang pera dito. Hindi ako naninira ng pangarap, gusto ko lang buksan ang bintana ng katotohanan.


Working in the UK as a Physiotherapist

A few days ago, we featured information for occupational therapists on how to get around working in the UK. Today, we are providing valuable information from the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) which may be useful for physical therapists (or physiotherapists) who are interested to practice in the UK.

Registration in the UK

All physiotherapists practising in the United Kingdom, including applicants from countries within the European Economic Area (EEA), are required by law to be registered with the Health Professions Council (HPC).

Applications for registration must be made on the official application forms. Download the forms from the HPC website or get it from their international registration department:

International Registration Team
The Health Professions Council (HPC)
184 Kennington Park Road
London SE11 4BU
tel +44 (0)20 7840 9804 or Lo-Call 0845 3004720 (UK residents only)
fax +44 (0)20 7840 9803
email: international@hpc-uk.org (state ‘physiotherapy’ in the subject email )
website: www.hpc-uk.org

Registration confers the legal right to practice and to use the protected titles ‘physiotherapist’ and ‘physical therapist’. It is a criminal offence to practice using these titles, without HPC registration.

The HPC and the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy

The HPC and the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) are separate organisations with different functions.

The Health Professions Council
The Health Professions Council is an independent legal body with responsibility for registration of physiotherapists and other allied health professions. It deals with standards of education and training; conduct, performance, and ethics; fitness to practise; and protection of the public. Contact the HPC to register as a practising physiotherapist in the UK.

The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy is the professional, educational and trade union body for the UK’s physiotherapists, assistants and students. It ensures that UK physiotherapists are recognised, respected and rewarded, for their essential contribution to health and social care. Contact the CSP for advice about finding a period of adaptation, joining the Society and member benefits.

HPC standards

Your attention is drawn to important information on the HPC Website which plays a central role in how you gain admission to, and remain on the register. Please read carefully the:

  • Standards of proficiency – for Physiotherapists
  • Standards of conduct, performance and ethics
  • The guidance notes for international applicants
  • Language competence requirements

Language competence
Physiotherapists must have reached a standard equivalent to average academic level 7 of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no element below 6.5, OR a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 600 (equivalent computerised test score 250).

The HPC recognises other standards of English proficiency, for full details please read the guidance notes for International applicants found on the HPC website (www.hpc-uk.org).

Applicants from Member Countries of the European Economic Area

The European Economic Area (EEA) includes all member countries of the European Union, plus Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Iceland. EEA applicants must have acquired rights to EU nationality (citizenship) and hold a legal licence to practice in their home state. The HPC will determine the status of acquired rights if migrants present with complex nationality issues or have trained in a third country.

Applications from these countries will be treated in the same way according to EEC Directives governing migration. Whilst there is no automatic recognition of professional qualifications or the automatic right to practise physiotherapy in any member state, all applicants have a right to be considered.

The General Directive 89/48/EEC provides for mutual recognition of higher educational diplomas awarded on completion of professional education at university level or equivalent, of at least three years (or part time equivalent). Directive 92/51/EEC allows physiotherapists who have completed a two-year diploma course to be considered.

An applicant’s qualifying education should broadly correspond with the UK BSc Honours degree programme in terms of academic equivalence and scope of study. Applicants are assessed against the HPC’s benchmark standards of proficiency expected of a newly qualified UK-trained physiotherapist. The assessment examines the whole range of skills and knowledge required.

Outcome of the registration process for all applicants

  • Acceptance onto the register
  • Rejection with a copy of the assessment record showing where HPC identified shortfalls in training/education/experience.
  • Period of Adaptation (EEA only). For example a further course of study, or a period of supervised clinical practice which will enable the standards of competence to be met. The HPC may stipulate a time frame for completion.
  • Request for further verification or invitation to attend a Test of Competence based on the standards of proficiency

The applicant is responsible for arranging adaptation and meeting the cost. The CSP can only offer general advice. Call the Society and ask for information paper PA10b – Periods of Adaptation.

Continue reading Working in the UK as a Physiotherapist

Working in the UK as an Occupational Therapist

Here is some valuable information I gathered from BAOT/COT. If you’re contemplating on working in the UK as an Occupational Therapist, then you might find the following tips very useful.

Working in the UK

  1. Employment Opportunities. Employment opportunities for occupational therapists in the UK are currently more limited then they have been in recent years due to restructuring and financial pressures in the National Health Service. It may therefore take some time to find a suitable position.
  2. Occupational therapy practice. We recommend that all occupational therapists wanting to work in the UK make themselves fully aware of the national policies, code of ethics and professional conduct, standards and guidelines governing practice in the UK. The best way to do this initially is to become an overseas member of the British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT). Visit www.baot.org.uk for full details.
  3. Getting registered. To practice in the UK you must be registered with the Health Professions Council (HPC) the Regulatory Body. ‘Occupational therapist’ is a legally protected title which may only be used by registered occupational therapists. Full information on the process for overseas applicants can be found at www.hpc-uk.org
    For further information contact:
    The Health Professions Council (HPC)
    Park House
    184 Kennington Park Road
    SE11 4BU
    Tel: +44 (0) 20 7582 0866
    Fax: +44 (0) 20 7820 9684
    email: international@hpc-uk.org
  4. Information on emigration to the UK. Can be obtained from:
    Immigration and Nationality Directorate
    Lunar House
    40 Wellesley Road
    CR9 2BY
    United Kingdom
    Tel: +44 (0) 870 606 7766
  5. If you require a work permit. Information is available from www.fco.gov.uk
    Foreign and Commonwealth Office
    Joint Entry Clearance Unit
    SW1A 2AH
    United Kingdom
    Tel: +44 (0) 207 238 3858
    Email: visa.foruk@gco.gov.uk
  6. Finding a job
    Vacancies listings are available to BOAT members online at www.baot.org.uk and in the British Journal of Occupational Therapy and OTN. Work is available in health,social care and community settings aswell as in the independent sector, education, housing etc. Agencies may also be helpful for short term work.For further help, please email Beryl Steeden, Head of Membership and External Affairs (beryl.steeden@cot.co.uk) at the:
    British Association of Occupational Therapist (BAOT)
    106-114 Borough High Street
    SE1 1LB

Source: BAOT/COT

Emigrating to the UK

Permits and visas
Information and advice is available from:

Immigration & Nationality Directorate
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road
Tel: +44 (0)870 606 7766
Website: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

Visas and work permits
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Joint Entry Clearance Unit,
Tel: +44 (0)20 7238 3858
Website: http://www.fco.gov.uk and www.ukvisas.gov.uk
Email: visas.foruk@fco.gov.uk

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme: www.workingintheuk.gov.uk

Immigration Advisory Service (IAS)
An independent charity that give confidential advice and help and can represent people who are aplying for a visa in the UK:

3rd Floor, County House
190 Great Dover St
London SE1 4YB
Tel: +44 (0)20 7967 1200
Duty Office (open 24 hours a day): +44 (0)20 8814 1559
Fax: +44 (0)20 7403 5875
Email : advice@iasuk.org
Website: www.iasuk.org

If you have any further queries, please e mail Beryl Steeden, Head of Membership and External Affairs at the BAOT on beryl.steeden@cot.co.uk

Source: BAOT/COT

Most Livable Metro-Area Suburbs

If you are planning to migrate to the US, the following article may be of some use to you.

With homes in the nation’s cities becoming increasingly unaffordable, today the move to the suburbs is often as much about saving some cash as it is about settling beyond the white picket fence.

There are prominent suburbs most everyone knows–these include Greenwich, Conn., Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., or Alpine, N.J. — where entree is dependent on the size of one’s wallet.

And there are suburbs that welcome those whose bank accounts don’t end in seven figures.

Read more »

Research was done based on the following factors:

  • education level of neighbors
  • homeownership
  • house area
  • quality of local schools
  • safety
  • Blog Widget by LinkWithin